Spring and summer are often a time for significant events, and we have many to report from the flipped learning community.
Inside the FLN
- In May, Ken Bauer was nominated and re-elected to a new 3-year term as the chair of the FLN Board.
- At the same meeting, Kelly Walsh was unanimously approved as the newest FLN Board Member (transitioning out of the non-voting, paid Community Manager role).
- The FLN is now a fully volunteer organization.
- In June, board member April Gudenrath reluctantly stepped down from her position, but of course she still has an important role in the flipped community.
- In July, Andrew Swan stepped down from his position on the board. We will miss Andrew’s contributions to this newletter, the FlipTech NE 2019 event and look forward to continuing to see his excellent work in the flipped learning community.
- The frequency of Ask the FLN Podcast episodes greatly increased this spring, with a string of bi-weekly releases on Thursdays.
Flipped Learning Network at ISTE19 in Philadelphia
- Dave Walsh presented a lecture on Monday June 24: Blowin’ Up My Pedagogy: Nonlinear Learning and the Flip. His session description promised that attendees would “find out about a nonlinear flipped learning model that that puts students in the control and discover how shocking changes to my personal teaching philosophy has benefited all stakeholders.”
- Kate Baker shared a stage with Stacy Dawes on Wednesday for the session ‘Get Flippin’ In Here!’ Class Structures to Support Flipped-Blended Learning. She was also the keynote speaker of an Edmodo event on Tuesday evening: Splash Into Summer: Immerse Yourself in SEL and presented on social-emotional learning and technology in the Edmodo booth on the main convention floor.
- Lucas Conner was unable to attend FTNE19 for the best possible reason: 1 week earlier he was promoted to the position of Assistant Principal for Alleghany HS in Covington, Virginia! “I am firmly committed to promoting flipped learning, and will be using my new position to help more teachers learn about and use flipped learning in their classrooms,” Lucas promised.
- In case you haven’t yet heard, Brian Bennett (one of the OGs of #flipclass and past chair of the FLN Board of Directors) added a baby boy to the family on June 20. However, in keeping with the circle of life, his cell phone chose to perish that day, which reduced the amount of photo and video evidence for this event.